In this digital age, we depend on technology for everything. From taking classes to booking flights, everything is done online. We buy groceries, medicines, clothes, and much more on websites. The internet connects every user.
Due to this link, much of our information is at the disposal of the websites that we visit. Information like your name, address, IP address, and Bank information is on the web.
If this information is false in the wrong hands, you might become a victim of Identity theft, fraud, scams, etc. To protect some of the information, you can use many applications or tools like VPNs that help you mask your identity.
But even VPNs are not foolproof. To add a level of security, credit card holders can use virtual credit cards.
This article will discuss how to create a virtual credit card for free and the many benefits of virtual credit cards.
Read more: Virtual Credit Card Generator
What is a Virtual Credit Card?
A virtual credit card is a free service that allows you to hide your credit card’s information by generating a unique card number, expiry date, and CVV. This virtual credit card can be a proxy for your actual credit card. These virtual cards are connected to your pre-existing account the credit card for extra security.
Therefore any payment you make is added to your credit card account. You are allowed to create a virtual credit card without any limit. If you create a virtual credit card, it saves you from fraud as the hacker might not find the virtual card’s helpful information. Even if some fraudster finds your virtual credit card information, you can request another number, and the previous credit card’s data would be useless.
You can even set your expiration date so that your virtual credit card turns useless in a day or two. You don’t have to worry if you get scammed because most credit cards offer Rs 0 fraud liability, which means that you are insured against fraud and your money is safe.
Users can only use virtual credit cards for online purchases and not for any in-person activities. Having a virtual card does make it secure for online shopping, but it’s not 100% effective.
Features of Virtual Credit Card
Virtual credit cards, apart from being virtual, have the following features:
The virtual credits have various amazing features that are listed below:
- Virtual credit cards safeguard your data from being stolen.
- If you create a virtual credit card, It will help you safeguard your identity online.
- You can create a virtual credit card using the online banking facility of your bank.
- You can create a virtual credit card for free.
- It is possible to create a virtual credit card without any physical stress.
- You are allowed to create virtual credit cards but you can use them only 1 time and their validity is 48 hours.
- You can create a virtual credit card only if you are a primary cardholder.
Benefits of Virtual Credit Cards
When you create a virtual credit card, you get multiple benefits associated with them, some of which are as follows:-
- Virtual credit cards provide safety as they do not expose your credentials to the vendor.
- Banks can also provide virtual credit cards to non-credit card holders upon request.
- Virtual credit cards are the process of online transactions for customers.
- Anyone can access virtual credit cards instantly as they are provided online.
- You can instantly block virtual credit cards if you suspect any threat.
- If your virtual credit card expires and there is an unutilized credit limit on your virtual credit card, it will be transferred to your primary credit card.
- Banks/credit card companies provide virtual credit cards without extra charges.
- You can use virtual credit cards for all national and international online transactions.
How to Create a Virtual Credit Card for Free?
So, now you know the basics about virtual credit cards, it’s time to know how to create a virtual credit card. The virtual credit card-creating process may be slightly different for each user. But, getting a virtual credit card is relatively simple.
Follow the steps to learn how to create a virtual credit card for free:
1. Get a credit card
Virtual credit cards are linked to existing credit card accounts. So having a credit card is necessary to create a virtual credit card.
2. Log in to your online credit card account and click “account settings.”
For many issuers, there will be an option for you to select on their websites.
3. To access the virtual card number, download the virtual card issuer’s app
Some issuers allow you to create virtual credit cards through their bank’s app, while some have a dedicated app for virtual card numbers.
4. Accept the unique virtual credit card number that’s generated for you
Some issuers provide separate numbers for separate merchants, while others give a new number when you request one, even if it’s for the same merchant.
5. Choose how long you want the number to be valid.
Some cards can be made valid for several months and used for recurring expenses.
6. Get the expiration date and security code with the virtual card number.
Once you receive the virtual credit card information, you can use it like your physical credit card info while making purchases online.
Read more: Virtual Credit Card vs Physical Credit Card
How to Use a Virtual Credit Card?
In case, your credit card provider offers you virtual credit card services, you must submit your credit card or debit card details and apply for the virtual credit card. After the approval of the application, the bank will send you the card number, expiry date, and CVV for the virtual credit card. Now, You can use these virtual credit card details for online transactions. The steps given below will teach you How to Use a Virtual Credit Card properly:
- Enter your virtual credit card number issued by the provider.
- Now, enter the validity date of the card.
- You will get an OTP on your mobile number that is registered with the bank. Enter this OTP on the given slot.
- Click the confirm button, and your transaction is complete.
Things to Remember before Applying for Virtual Credit Card
Are you planning to apply for a virtual credit card? After understanding how to create a virtual credit card and being ready to apply for one, here are some points you must remember before creating one.
- You must have a primary credit card before you create a virtual credit card.
- Virtual credit cards can only process online transactions. You are not allowed to use it for cash withdrawal.
- Only a few virtual credit cards offer the utility in the physical store. Therefore, you will not be able to shop at any outlet or mall using a virtual credit card.
Virtual Credit Cards Vs. Payment Apps & Digital Wallets
One significant difference between payment apps and virtual credit cards is that while the former can be used for offline purchases like malls, stores, etc., the latter can only be used for online purchases. Nowadays, almost all websites accept payment apps at checkout.
Another difference between virtual credit cards and payment apps is that virtual cards provide unique card numbers that mask your actual account information. In contrast, payment apps do transactions with a single-use verification token.
It is a way to keep your information hidden while still allowing the transaction to go through. Despite the differences between payment apps and virtual credit cards, both have a common goal: to keep your information secure and prevent it from being stolen and used by someone else.
How Safe Are Virtual Credit Cards?
Now that you know how to create virtual credit cards for free, are you wondering if using them is safe? Let’s get some information about it. The primary purpose of a virtual credit card is to keep your info safe and out of reach of scammers. But to keep your mind at peace, here are some reasons that explain how a virtual credit card is secure to use-
- Virtual credit cards are disposable and have a set period of usage. Once disposed of, the virtual credit card information is useless.
- Users can cancel virtual credit cards instantly. If your virtual credit card information falls into the hands of a fraudster, you can withdraw that virtual credit card without closing your entire credit card account.
- Some virtual credit cards are single-use only. The single-use virtual credit cards are the safest for a scammer to get ahold of your credit card information; you need to use it on a website. And once you use it, the information becomes useless, and the scammer cannot misuse your virtual credit card information.
Create Virtual Credit Card – FAQs
How to create a virtual credit card for free?
Ans. Virtual credit cards are digital cards that substitute the use of your actual credit card. Most banks and credit card providers offer virtual credit cards for free on their websites. The answer to “how to create virtual credit cards for free” is provided in detail in the article above.
Is it easy to create a virtual credit card?
Ans. Virtual credit cards are services that most banks and credit card providers offer. To create a virtual credit card, you have to visit the website of your credit card provider. Then, you must follow simple instructions.
Which banks allow generating virtual credit cards, and how do create virtual credit cards for free?
Ans. Virtual credit cards are services that most banks and credit card providers offer. Many banks have a “create virtual credit card” feature on their website. For example, SBI, ICICI, Axis Bank, etc. The details are provided in the content to know how to create a virtual credit card.
Can I trust virtual credit card providers that create virtual credit cards?
Ans. Virtual credit cards are services that most banks and credit card providers offer.
How simple is it to create a virtual credit card?
Ans. Most banks and credit card providers have options on their websites. Following the instructions in this article, you can easily create virtual credit cards.
Can I create a virtual credit card offline?
Ans. Virtual credit cards are digital credit cards. They can only be used for online transactions. Hence, you can create a virtual credit card online, as there is no point in letting you create one offline if you can only use it online.
How to create a virtual credit card for free?
Ans. Virtual credit cards are digital cards that substitute the use of your actual credit card. Most banks and credit card providers offer virtual credit cards for free on their websites. The answer to “how to create a virtual credit card for free” is explained in detail in the article above.