Your Permanent Account Number (PAN) is an important document as it is essential for a number of financial transactions. You require it to file taxes, to open a bank account, when you buy an asset such as property or a vehicle, and even when you make investments. Needless to say, losing your PAN card will put you in a fix, especially because criminals can misuse it to commit fraud.
Since the Income Tax Department allots a unique PAN to every individual, even if you lose your PAN card, you don’t have to apply for a new one and can request a duplicate PAN card instead. If you’re wondering how to get duplicate PAN card, note that first you must lodge an FIR stating the loss of your PAN card. Then, file an application for a duplicate card either online or offline.
To apply online do so via TIN-NSDL, the official PAN website. If you want to go the offline route, send a courier with your request to the appropriate NSDL office. Here is a detailed look at how to apply for a duplicate PAN card online and offline.
Also Read: How to Apply for PAN Card Online?
How to Get Duplicate PAN Card Online
- Visit the TIN-NSDL website or visit the online PAN application page.
- Under the ‘Application type’ menu, select ‘Changes or correction in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN card (No changes in existing PAN data)’. Also select your ‘Category’.
- Next, fill out mandatory information like your last name, DOB, mobile number and email ID. Then, enter the CAPTCHA code and click on ‘Submit’.
- You will receive a token number on your registered email ID, which you should note for future reference.
- Now fill out the other necessary information on the ‘Personal Details’ page. Then choose how you wish to submit the duplicate PAN card form.
- Submit Application Documents Offline: If you choose this option, you must print the acknowledgement form that is generated after you make the payment. Send this form along with the required documents via registered post to the PAN services unit of NSDL.
- Submit Documents Through e-KYC and e-sign them: Your Aadhaar details should be used in your application for a duplicate PAN card to be able to pick this option. Instead of having to fill out all the details manually, an OTP will be sent to your mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Simply keep this handy for authentication, and when submitting the final form, use your digital signature (DSC) to e-sign the form.
- Submit Scanned Images by e-signing them: Having an Aadhaar card is mandatory for this method too, however you do have to submit scanned copies of your photograph, signature, and other necessary documents. Here you can use the OTP to authenticate your application form and complete submission.
- Choose between a physical PAN card and an e-PAN card. The latter is sent to you on your email id.
- Fill out the fields in the ‘Contact & other details’ section and the ‘Document details’ section and click on ‘Submit’.
- Make the payment once the page refreshes and note down your 15-digit acknowledgement number. Once your application is verified, your duplicate PAN card will be dispatched to your address within 2 weeks. You can use the acknowledgement number to check the status of your application in the interim.
How to Get Duplicate PAN Card Offline
- Download the ‘Request for new PAN card or/and changes or correction in PAN data’ form and print it.
- Fill out the form in block letters and black ink.
- Provide your 10-digit PAN number.
- Attach 2 passport size photographs and cross-sign them, without covering the face.
- Send the duplicate PAN card form with the payment, identity proof, address proof, and PAN proof to the NSDL facilitation centre.
- On receiving your payment, the facilitation centre will generate a 15-digit acknowledgement number and forward your application to the PAN services unit.
- Your duplicate PAN card will be dispatched to you within 2 weeks from the time the department receives your application and in the meanwhile, you can use the acknowledgment number to check the status of your duplicate PAN card application.
To avoid this lengthy re-application procedures and paying for a duplicate PAN card, avail Wallet Care brought to you by Bajaj Finserv. You can immediately request a free replacement by informing the insurer.
In addition to your PAN card, you can make a single call to block any bank cards that you have lost as well. Apart from this, the insurance policy also offers emergency travel assistance, mobile protection and complimentary fraud protection of up to Rs.1 lakh, for an annual premium of just Rs.599. So apply through Bajaj Finserv right away.