The QuickBooks error 15106 usually occurs when you update the QuickBooks software. It mainly obstructs the update function. When you try to perform an update of payroll or QuickBooks, you may see an error message on your screen, such as:
- Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened
- Error 15106: The update program is damaged
In this article, we will discuss the reasons behind the QuickBooks error 15106 and the solutions to fix it.
Causes for QuickBooks Error 15106
Some possible reasons behind the error 15106 are as follows:
- The account you’re using to download updates does not have Windows Administrative rights.
- Antivirus or any third-party software is obstructing the QuickBooks update process.
- Some Windows User Account control settings might be interfering with the QuickBooks update.
- Corrupted update program.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106
Here are some solutions that can help you resolve the QuickBooks error 15106.
1. Sign In as Administrator
Make sure you have Admin rights to make changes in the QuickBooks Desktop application. To log in as Admin, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and then choose Run as Administrator.
- Next, try to update QuickBooks.
Note: Download the latest tax table if you have an active QuickBooks Desktop payroll subscription.
2. Stop Antivirus and Rename Update Folders
Sometimes, an Antivirus program interrupts the update process. You can close the Antivirus software using the below steps:
- Open Task Manager by clicking the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys simultaneously.
- Click the Processes tab and then look for the Antivirus program.
- Click End process to stop the application.
You can rename the QuickBooks update folder to try to fix the error. Here are the steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- Go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- Right-click on the downloadable folder and then click Rename.
- Next, add .old at the end of the file name.
Now, try to update the software once again.
3. Verify the System Date and Time
Incorrect computer dates or times on your system can also interfere with the update process. To check and change the computer date and time, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the system clock and then select Adjust date/time.
- Click Change date and time and then specify the current date and time.
- Click OK twice.
- Reopen the QuickBooks application.
4. Turn off Windows User Account Control
User Account Control (UAC) pops up on the screen when you try to make changes in an application or program. Sometimes, it stops the QuickBooks update process. You can disable the UAC settings on your Windows to get rid of the QuickBooks error 15106.
To disable the User Account Control, follow the below steps:
- Open the Run utility using Windows + R keys.
- Next, type Control Panel in the search field and click OK.
- Choose the User Accounts.
- Click Change user account control settings.
- Move the slider down to Never Notify.
- Click OK.
Note: After the update, it is recommended that you turn on the UAC to prevent any security risks on your system.
5. Check the Firewall Application Settings
Sometimes, Windows Firewall blocks internet access for specific QuickBooks files resulting in the error. In this case, check and set up the Firewall settings manually using the below steps:
- Click on the Windows Start button.
- Type Windows Firewall in the search field and open Windows Firewall.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Right-click on Inbound Rules and select New Rule.
- Choose Port and click Next.
- Make sure to select TCP.
- Next, enter the specific port number required for QuickBooks Desktop, such as Port 80 or Port 443.
- Ensure that the ports are enabled and access is provided to the QuickBooks files, like AutoBackupExe.exe, Dbmlsync.exe, QBW32.exe, etc.
Note: QuickBooks Desktop 2019 and higher versions use dynamic ports.
- Once you enter the port number, click Next.
- Click Allow the connection and then click on the Next tab.
- In the dialog box that appears, make sure you have marked all profiles. Then, click Next.
- Create a rule and then give it a name.
- Click Finish.
6. Run QuickBooks File Doctor Utility
This tool is used to fix issues with Company files and networks. To use the QuickBooks File Doctor, follow the below steps:
- Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Open it and then click Company File issues.
- Choose Run QuickBooks File Doctor. From the dropdown, select the company file.
- Click Check your File and click Continue.
- Enter your QuickBooks credentials and then click Next.
- Wait until the scan is complete. Then, check if the error is fixed.
If the error still persists, it might be due to a corrupted Company file. In this case, you can use a third-party QuickBooks repair software, such as Stellar Repair for QuickBooks®. It is advanced software that can repair corrupted QBW files and recover all their data.
The QuickBooks error 15106 can occur while updating the QuickBooks Desktop application. There are several reasons that may trigger this error, like lack of Admin rights, Firewall/Antivirus preventing the QuickBooks updates, etc. You can follow the solutions discussed in this article to resolve the issue. If the error has occurred due to a corrupted QuickBooks Company file, try QuickBooks File Doctor or Stellar Repair for QuickBooks software to repair the corrupt file.